[WT-support] XP + MicroHAM problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Feb 23 09:18:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Patrick Egloff <pegloff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to use (for the 1st time) the Microham MKII internal DVK with
> Wintest. I could setup everything (i think) and pressing the function keys
> in Wintest handles the recorded messages correctly.
> Is there a way to make Wintest launch the record process (SHIFT Fx) or do
> i have to record the messages from the Microham router ?

There are two ways to use the MKII and related devices with Win-Test:  as
an external voice keyer (external DVK), or as a "Windows sound card" using
the Win-Test "integrated voice keyer."  I prefer the later.

If you use the MKII as an external voice keyer (with the microHAM "Control"
COM port selected in Win-Test interface configuration, and the microHAM DVK
enabled via MKSETUP [Enter]), you have to record all messages using the
Router software, and you *cannot* use SHIFT-Fx to record voice messages
while you are running.  Type MKSETUP [Enter] in the logging window and
select the DVK option if you want to use the MKII this way.

If you use the MKII as a Windows sound card, first deselect the DVK option
under MKSETUP.  Next enable the Win-Test DVK Sound card by going into
Options | Interface Configuration (SETUP [Enter]), select the DVK sound
card (*USB Voice Codec* or similar), and then Win-Test should be able to
record DVK messages via Shift-Fx and play back voice keyer messages in the
normal fashion.  You use Win-Test to do all functions, not the Router.  Of
course you should set up a PTT port too.

> The other problem i have is that the RX recording audio (to record with
> Wintest) in the Audio mixer tab is unselected at router startup.I have to
> manualy select the right input RX RECODING and deselect the REC MIC  (Front
> panel LINE Led is blinking)
> Can Wintest select the right input or do i have to use a third party
> software to try to solve this ?

Try using the PC's built-in Sound Card with the Contest Recorder, and use
the MKII sound card (USB Voice Codec) as the voice keyer.  I don't think
there is any way to do both at the same time with one device, because most
sound cards can select one and only one audio input source at any time
(e.g. MIC or LINE IN), and Win-Test has no facility to automatically switch
between them, nor should it (you don't want to interrupt the contest audio
recording every time you want to re-record a message, right?)

The higher function microHAM MK2R+ can be used as a DVK *and* contest
recorder at the same time, because it has "dual" sound cards, but the MKII
does not.