[WT-support] Networking question

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 20:21:06 CEST 2007

Scenario:

I set up a network of 7 or 8 Win-Test laptops on a wireless network via a Wireless Access Point with 'DHCP Server' enabled.
The router's IP start address for dynamic allocation is 192.168.0.100
The WT laptops do NOT have static IP addresses, they have Dynamic allocation of IP configured.
Ethernet is enabled on each laptop with the same broadcast address and port number. Each station number is different.

What will the consequence be of not setting fixed IP addresses on the laptops? (yes, I know the manual states you should use a static address!)

As far as I can work out, my router always allocates 192.168.0.* - will the network run quite happily?

What if I need to reboot a laptop and it grabs a new unique  IP address, within the 192.168.0.* range, on startup ?

Am I inviting trouble if I do not set the IP addresses as FIXED?

Thanks

John G4IRN.