[WT-support] Caution: latest Windows Update breaks fake "FTDI" USB-to-Serial adapters

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 23 20:16:40 CEST 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Lup S. DJ7SW <dj7sw at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the prolific site they offer a test program to check, if you use an
> original prolific chip. The same is offered on the ftdi site.

I couldn't find any utility on the FTDI site that will safely indicate if
you have a fake FTDI device.

> The newer drivers can no longer used together with chinese clone chips.
> The cables/chips are not killed, only the driver is killed by Microsofts
> Update.

That may be true of Prolific chips.  But FTDI chips are actually killed and
rendered useless according to multiple sources.

> More information gives you this blog:
> http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/FTDI-FT232RL-real-vs-fake-supereal

Which confirms the same thing at the bottom:  "current update of FTDI
drivers in windows made things much worse: software-compatible chips
abusing "FTDI" marking are now silently bricked by FTDI drivers by
resetting their PID."

"Bricked" or "to brick" is jargon/slang for "cause (a smartphone or other
electronic device) to become completely unable to function, typically on a
permanent basis," as useful as a brick of clay.