[WT-support] SO2R without expensive controller?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 27 03:00:50 CEST 2013

Win-Test does not support two Winkeys or two sound card outputs (as DVK to
each radio).

If you have two Elecraft K3s, you can connect a paddle to each radio and
use Win-Test COM port CW keying via the existing serial cable to each
radio.  No external keying circuit or switchbox is required.  The K3
internal keyer speed can be set to match the Win-Test keying speed using my
Win-Test Scripts <http://bit.ly/wtscripts> (download K3scripts.zip).

For phone, the internal voice keyer (KDVR3 option) can also be controlled
via Win-Test scripts.  You will still need two microphones or a switchbox,
and a headphones switchbox.

If you won't have two K3s, this will not work.  If you don't use an
outboard box, there is no way to get your headphones listening to the
correct radio unless you want to listen to two radios all the time, which
is very difficult.

If you don't want to use a microHAM SO2R box, you can use a DX Doubler,
though that works best with a real printer port, which is hard to find.

It's possible to control the DX Doubler via serial port pins, but that gets
complicated.  See K0DQ's NCJ
Article<http://ncjweb.com/NCJ-JulAug-Redd-BonusContentFinal.pdf> which
describes how to set up the DX Doubler and Win-Test using a real printer
port or the PIEXX SO2Rxlat if you don't have a printer port.