[WT-support] computer/skimmer problems

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Feb 23 16:55:34 CET 2012

> in using the MicroKeyer for generating cw...does the path to reach
> the radio include the computer via the Microkeyer or does the cw go
> directly from the microkeyer to the radio?

I don't understand your question.  MK, MK II, DK II, CK all use the
original Winkey chip connected to the processor in the interface.
Router provides a virtual serial port to access the processor so
when the logging program generates CW, it sends ASCII to the virtual
port where Router packages that data into the format necessary to
communicate with the processor and sends it on to the "keyer".

WinKey generates properly timed CW which goes directly to the rig.

Note, Win-Test sends *one character at a time* and waits for an echo
from the keyer.  If your system is so severely lacking in memory
that Windows must swap processes between RAM and disk to switch
between processing a skimmer feed and generating CW, your CW will
be *extremely* choppy because the computer has to wait for the
program data to be moved between active RAM and cache or disk.

While multiple cores are nice, the best thing one can do for
performance in typical amateur use is have 2 GB or more of RAM
and a processor with a large "level 2" cache.  Process swapping
is a real performance killer when moving among network service
(spot processing),  User interface (keyboard response), output
(CW or DVK generation) and log processing (save, dupe check, etc.).
The biggest contributor to process swapping is dealing with a high
volume spot feed (e.g., skimmer) and the need to constantly update,
sort, dupe the spot data.  A system that is perfectly acceptable
in a single operator unassisted situation is completely unusable
when forced to "drink from a firehose" by being faced with a
skimmer feed with hundreds of spots a minute.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV