[WT-support] Rotator protocol

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Dec 28 19:11:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> (Please remove the broken reply-to header that is injected to all
> list posts. At the very least fix it to have the correct list
> address: win-test.com vs. f5mzn.org)

I see:

which may be the main cause (some email programs prefer one over the other,
some use both).

> Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> > I suggest supporting the Hy-Gain® DCU-1 protocol, which is one of
> > the oldest.
>
> Why that one in particular?

Because this protocol is most-often cloned (e.g. by the Green Heron RT-21).
 Using a common protocol allows more software options, e.g. Green Heron
Everywhere, wtRotators, PstRotatorAz, HRD.

> WtRotators only supports one fixed baud rate per controller type.
>
> Which controller type supports the highest baud rate?

I don't know, but I don't think speed is very important for something as
inherently slow as rotator control and heading indication.   The baud rate
should be documented in each rotator manual.