[WT-support] Config question: Two Ops, One Radio.

Juha Rantanen oh6xx at sral.fi
Fri Apr 13 10:45:02 CEST 2007

John Warburton G4IRN wrote:

> I want the Mult-Op (VFOb) to be able to enter spots on the bandmap, so
> that the Run-Op (VFOa) can click on them, QSY to work them, then return
> to the Run frequency or wherever.
>
> The problem is that I have not found a way for the Mult-Op's laptop to
> know what the VFOb frequency is - the frequency does not transfer across
> the network onto the bandmap as far as I can figure out.

The workaround is first find the mult e.g. on 14248 using the second
receiver. The Mult-Op's laptop now shows whatever frequency on the
bandmap. Write 14248 to the callsign field of Mult-Op's laptop, this
will QSY the bandmap to the correct frequency. Enter the callsign to the
callsign field and press Ctrl-Enter and voilà there the multiplier lies
in the bandmap for Run-Op to work it.

The other way we have used the second receiver on CW is that both
laptops are connected to the radio so that one can send CW from either
one of them. Once Mult-Op finds a multiplier, he notifies the Run-Op to
take a short brake while Mult-Op calls the new station/multiplier. TX
focus between VFO A and VFO B is changed from the front panel buttons of
FT-1000MP. A bit of learning and the Mult-Op can easily call and work
stations while the Run-Op can still hold his frequency . This is quite
effective way if done properly. This works on SSB too if you make some
kind of a switch box for microphone switching. The Mult-Op's laptop is
set to Support (it really doesn't matter what it is, but it sounds fancy)

Juha OH6XX