[WT-support] Win-Test Trial version and Winkeyer Clone

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Dec 16 00:35:51 CET 2023

Power cycling the WinKeyer Clone would probably get it back to initial
working state (for a while).   It may work in other software because they
send different command strings compared to Win-Test, and the
emulators never seem to thoroughly test with Win-Test.

Instead, I strongly recommend switching to Win-Test DTR keying instead of
using a WinKey or emulator, and connect your paddles to the radio instead
of the WinKey clone.  All these WinKeyer clone software emulators never
perfectly mimic the function of a real WinKey chip, and the K4 code was
only tested against a real WinKey V1 chip and maybe a little testing with
V2.  My Win-Test scripts for Icom radios can keep the IC-7300 paddle speed
in sync with the Win-Test DTR keying speed (or you can use a script
argument to set the Icom paddle speed *n *WPM slower than the Win-Test
keying speed).

https://bit.ly/wtscripts

For details and screenshots of DTR keying setup with IC-7300, see Pages 55
and 64 in this presentation linked from my qrz.com page
<https://www.qrz.com/db/N6TV>.

   - Everything You Need to Know About USB and Serial Interfaces
   <https://bit.ly/USBserial2021>, updated for 2021, presented to Spokane
   DX Association, Feb. 3rd, 2022
      - Watch YouTube recording of this presentation here
      <https://youtu.be/X1yLJ9mi0gY>.

Be sure to change the Windows Power Plan to High Performance mode (set
minimum CPU speed to 100%), and disable USB Power Management on the Silicon
Labs device using Windows Device Manager.