[WT-support] Rotator Control enhancements

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Mar 13 00:52:37 CET 2023

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 2:35 PM dl2alf <dl2alf at arcor.de> wrote:

> I was playing around with Win-Test’s rotator features in order to get it
> working with arbitrary software for controlling our VHF-/UHF-/SHF-contest
> station @DK0NA.
>
> Success so far but some questions and wishes for enhancement came up
> immediately J:
>

> 1)      Rotator control steps of 15°/45° are far too much for VHF & up. I
> suppose it is hardcoded. Is there any way to make this configurable?

If using Win-Test, you can type any beam heading or DX prefix or full
callsign into the logging window and press Ctrl-F12 to rotate to that exact
heading (short path).  Use Alt-F12 to rotate to the long path heading.

> 2)      To have the current azimuth and control commands via LUA
> scripting interface would be nice. This would allow to overcome 1),
> redefining keys for commands and other features. Is there any way to
> implement this?

No real need for this since it's built-in to Win-Test already, just press
Ctrl-F12:  https://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Rotators

A script can type into the logging Window and Press F12 too:

-- Turn beam to 350 degrees short path
if wtQso:IsCurrentFieldCallsign() then
   -- Clear the callsign field
   wtApp:SendKey("W", WT_KEY_CTRL)
   -- Enter beam heading 350
   wtApp:SendKey("350", WT_KEY_NONE)
   -- Send Ctrl-F12 to rotate to the beam heading
   wtApp:SendFKey("F12", WT_KEY_CTRL)
   -- Clear the callsign field
   wtApp:SendKey("W", WT_KEY_CTRL)
end

3)      Elevation control would be a nice feature too but would require
> more efforts I believe…

You should probably use PstRotator, which is a Win-Test-compatible
substitute that has many more features than wtRotators.  wtRotators hasn't
really been enhanced since F5MZN stopped working on Win-Test code many
years ago.

http://www.pstrotator.com/