[WT-support] OmniRig & CW keying

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 4 18:29:31 CEST 2021

There should be no need to struggle with COM interfaces of the IC-9700.
Just install the driver well before you connect the USB cable.

Everything you need to know, including how to recover from connection
problems, is covered in my presentation (https://bit.ly/USBserial2021).  If
you can't figure something out, install TeamViewer and I'll help you
remotely.

Note that if you move the rig's USB cable to a different USB port, it may
end up on a different internal "USB hub", so it will be assigned new COM
port numbers.

For simultaneous rig control and DTR/RTS keying of the IC-7300 when using
OmniRig, the most economical solution is to buy an FTDI to CI-V cable
(CT-17 equivalent), use that new connection for rig control via the REMOTE
(CI-V) jack, and use the ONE virtual serial port provided by the IC-7300
USB connector for CW and PTT keying via DTR and RTS, and sound card.

For the KX3, I'd recommend my Serial Box USB which provides the CW and PTT
keying circuits, plus a KXUSB for rig control, or use an S-BOX-USB-2 which
provides two independent serial ports, one for rig control, one for DTR/RTS
keying, so no need for the KXUSB cable.

https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/S-BOX/Features.html#KeyingExampleKX3  (shows one
port being used for both, but there are many other configurations
available).

https://bit.ly/S-BOX