[WT-support] Win-Test 4.33 Issue

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Oct 16 20:02:39 CEST 2020

As Laurent mentioned, this was probably caused by forgetting to right click
on the install program to select "Run as an Administrator".  The next step
is to right click on the Win-Test shortcut, Properties, Compatibility tab,
and check "Run this program as an Administrator."

As for the SciTE editor, since it's not installed with Win-Test, and will
be unfamiliar to most, I suggest simply changing the Win-Test Script Editor
to Notepad.  You do this by clicking *Options | Script Editor configuration
...*.  (it's one of the first things I do when helping someone at a new
installation).

Select *Use another text editor*, then click the *Browse* button, then
select *C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe*.

Last step:  change *File Open with Line Positioning* to *"%F"* (Notepad
doesn't support line positioning).

I've always thought Win-Test should default to Notepad as the script
editor, instead of SciTE, just to avoid unwelcome issues like this.  This
would make it much easier for anyone to read scripts written by others,
perhaps just to make small modifications, without having to install or
learn a 3rd party editor like SciTE.  Very few folks have a need to use a
fancier programmer's editor like SciTE.  I use Gnu Emacs myself.