[WT-support] DXLOG

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Feb 21 01:59:13 CET 2018

It would take too long to try to investigate and list all the differences
between the two programs.  They have far more similarities than differences.

I suggest using Win-Test for all contests it supports, since it is more
reliable, and DXLog.net for all contests that Win-Test doesn't support,
since the similar user interface makes it easy to switch back and forth
between the two.

Win-Test was written first, by F5MZN and F6FVY, essentially copying and
improving the interface first used by CT for DOS by K1EA.  It is very
stable and reliable, with no known major bugs.  It supports the major
contests, but not some of the minor contests.  There is only one developer
left (F6FVY), so major new features and support for new contests are not
being added unless the rules are very similar to contests that are already
supported.  I've been able to add minor features using LUA script
extensions (see https://bit.ly/wtscripts).  Win-Test only runs on Windows.
It is written in C and C++.

9A5K copied the interface of Win-Test and added more contests and
features.  It is written in .NET.  The program so far has been much less
stable and reliable than Win-Test, often locking up or crashing or behaving
strangely with unexpected delays, especially in SO2R modes.  See
http://dxlog.net/sw/release_notes.txt for a list of recent bug fixes.

DXlog.net includes better features for SO2R operators than Win-Test, and
supports many more contests.

New contests can be added to DXlog.net via a configuration file, but it is
complex to define.  DXlog.net does not support LUA script extensions; they
must instead be implemented in C#, a more difficult lower-level language
than LUA.

9A5K once said he wants to rewrite all the code so that in can run the same
on a Mac, Linux, or Windows, but this will break any any extensions written
in C#.  I do not know the status of those plans.