[WT-support] Win-Test in VHF/UHF Contests

Bernhard Buettner dl6rai at darc.de
Thu Nov 10 01:23:17 CET 2016

I have recently been "forced" to operate VHF and UHF contests - quite
unique and different from HF contesting, which I have been doing for 30+
years. After UHF/SHF contest in September and Marconi Memorial Contest
last weekend, here is my short wish list for features I have been
missing in Win-Test:

(1) Allow searching by QTH locator in Check Partial and/or N+1 windows.
Knowing that one can enter the locator in the callsign field and press
F10 to check for matches,  it would be even better if one could enter
the locator into the designated field and have WT automatically update
the two windows, even for a partial locator. So you would type "JO33"
and the windows would contain stations from VHF.DTB and from the log
which matching the locator and the ones already worked would be red,
while the rest would be white (never worked) or green (worked on another
band). You would enter "JO33?P" and the lists would be shorted to the
calls that match this pattern. You would enter "JO33VP" and the N+1
window would display callsigns matching variations of "JO33VP" one
letter off, like "DP6A JO33WP".

(2) Callsign/locator data for QSOs that were not completed entered into
the band map would be kept in a cache. E.g. I hear station HG6X on
144.035 and copy his QTH as KN08FX. I enter that call into the band map.
I observe the signal for a while and return to that station 20 minutes
later. Now, when clicking on the spot, WT would automatically fill in
callsign AND QTH locator previously copied. Today I have to make notes
on paper to make sure I'll have the QTH locator in case of QSB during
the QSO.

(3) The menu entry File | Update Database obviously has no function in a
VHF contest. It would be great to update the DB from within Win-Test.
After all, we tend to work the same stations from QTH over and again.
Bug seems to be open on flyspray since a long time.

Maybe there is some hope for improvement?

73 Ben, DL6RAI
--
Bernhard Büttner
dl6rai at darc.de
Obere Dorfstrasse 21, 86556 Stockensau, Germany
+49 (0) 8257 9276757