[WT-support] How to add emphasis spacing in callsign?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu May 23 19:54:05 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Sante - IK0HBN <ik0hbn at libero.it> wrote:

> I am operating II0IEE on CW and I'd like adding an emphasis space between
> the "EE".
> I look for the character to put in the macro, but I did not find it. Any
> help?

This is documented under Message
Variables<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Message_variables>in the
Win-Test Wiki.  The "^" inserts an extra half-dot space.  So try:

II0I^^^^^E^^^^^E

to see if that sounds acceptable. It sounds almost the same as:

II0I E E

Personally, I think you would be far better off using IK0HBN since II0IEE
isn't in the MASTER.DTA file.  Many stations tend to ask for a repeat of
almost every callsign that doesn't appear in the Super Check Partial
window, to confirm that they have it correct.

Consider also that adding extra space may sometimes make it *harder* for
code readers such as CW Skimmer (or humans) to copy a callsign correctly,
since the extra space tends to get filled in by noise which is interpreted
as extra dots.