[WT-support] Serial connection K3

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Oct 25 19:34:01 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:39 AM, fabio.grisafi at libero.it <
fabio.grisafi at libero.it> wrote:

> I can use a Prolific USB/Serial adapter but the question is:
>
> Can I use a single Prolific (or different USB/Serial) adapter both to
> remote control
>
> the radio AND to key the PTT ?
>

> Or I have to use two adapters, ONE for PTT and the other for remote control
> ?

With the Elecraft K3, you can use *one* serial port for both PTT and rig
control.  It should not matter if it is a real serial port or a
USB-to-Serial adapter.  But, the Prolific drivers have had a lot of bugs, so
be sure to install the newest device driver from the Prolific web site, or
use an FTDI USB-to-serial port device instead.

In Win-Test:  type SETUP and press the Configure button for the radio's COM
port (the virtual COM port).  Set RTS (pin 7) to PTT, Active with:  Radio 1
only.  Set DTR (pin 4) to Always OFF.

See http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Serial_Ports

In the Elecraft K3 menu, set CONFIG: PTT-KEY to RTS-OFF

Note that the K3 will enter TEST mode (no RF output) if the PTT line is
closed while editing the menu (or while powering up the radio, I think).