[WT-support] WinKey

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Sep 21 10:50:36 CEST 2009

KL7RA also reports that setting "PTT ON delay" to a value much lower than
the Win-Test Default of 50ms cured his K1EL WinKey USB timing problem, so I
think we have important clues now.
It seems like Win-Test should ignore PTT ON delay when no COM port is being
used for PTT, and LPT is not checked, or LPT the PTT pin is not checked.

Or perhaps Win-Test is trying  to send a "Set PTT Lead/Tail" delay command
to the WinKey?  For 50 ms delay, the proper command is

<04><05><00>

(10s of ms) according to the WinKey USB
manual<http://k1el.tripod.com/WinkeyUSBman.pdf>
.

But maybe by mistake WinKey sends

<04><50><00>

which would set the PTT lead-in to 500 ms instead of 50 ms?

The problem only seems to happen with the K1EL WinKey USB keyers, not
microHAM.  Perhaps the microHAM device drivers ignore this WinKey command if
issued by Win-Test, since you can set PTT delay inside the microHAM router
program, and it has its own PTT lines separate from the WinKey PTT lines.

Bug report #255
<http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=255>has been
opened to track this "Farnsworth CW" issue with the K1EL WinKey USB
box.  In the mean time, those having troubles should try adjusting PTT Delay
in Win-Test SETUP (Options | Interface Configuration) to 0, 5 or 13 ms to
see if that helps.