[WT-support] CTRL-S is a very dangerous key (was "Redefining the * key")

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 11 00:20:40 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Some of you might remember that I have a keyboard with no numeric
> keypad. I therefore decided to temporarily connect a conventional USB
> kbd in order to redefine the numpad * key to the Pause key with which I
> am familiar in Brand X logger. However for some reason the standard
> routine in WT will not accept the Pause key, although paradoxically it
> will accept Ctrl-Pause !

May I suggest that you reprogram Ctrl-S to do the function of [*]?  The
default function of Ctrl-S can be very DANGEROUS when using SO2R and an
amplifier that doesn't automatically switch bands.  Even if you don't have
an amplifier, you still need a "Six Pack" type box that can put any antenna
on any rig.  Otherwise, if you accidentally hit Ctrl-S instead of Ctrl-A,
say, you can find yourself transmitting on the wrong band into a mistuned
amplifier or the wrong antenna.  The risk of doing rig or amplifier damage
as the result of a simple typo is much too high in my opinion, so use
DEFINEKEYS to make Ctrl-S a "dead" key (reprogram as [~] for example), or
make Ctrl-S do the same thing as [*].

See
http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Commands#Swap_the_frequency_on_both_radios

for a detailed explanation of what Ctrl-S does, and how it differs from [*].

FYI, CT initially used [Alt]-[.] (alt-period) to swap radios, later changed
to just [.] (but I personally prefer to use that as my F1 key).