[WT-support] MK2 & Delay

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Oct 31 18:49:04 CET 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:08 AM, Toni Lindén <oh2ua at oh2u.com> wrote:

> I don't know this helps at all, but I've noticed that sometimes at the
> beginning there's some kind of a delay in activating messages or
> changing radio with * when using MK2R+.

I have also seen this problem when I

   1. Told Win-Test I had an MK2R/MK2R+ on COMn
   2. Used used a single USB cable to control everything

I fixed this problem by

   1. Removing the MK2R+ control port definition from Win-Test setup
   2. Adding an LPT cable between the PC and MK2R+ (requires a legacy LPT
   port)
   3. Selected "Classic Auto Control" in Router, SO2R tab, and defined all
   the LPT pins
   4. Enabled the corresponding LPT pins in Win-Test SETUP for DVK, active
   radio, stereo, and PTT

If this is not an option for you because you have no LPT port,

   1. Press the [MON] button in the Router software, Ports Tab, to start
   logging the communication between the MK2R and Win-Test.
   2. Replicate the delay problem
   3. Stop the monitor
   4. Save the log file and send it to Olivier, Laurent and/or microHAM
   support for analysis

But after getting the first message played, it works OK for me. And this
> delay doesn't appear every time.

Yes, that's what I saw too.

Just my guess, but could it have something to do either with Windows
> firewall or Antivirus SW. So if you'd turn off firewall and antivirus, is it
> getting any better?

I don't think this will make any difference.  My shack PC uses the standard
Windows firewall, no AntiVirus, and I've still seen this problem.

F6FVY wrote:

Actually, the port speed is totally irrelevant for the Control Port of the
> MicroKeyer.

Doesn't the *Control Port* baud rate affect the speed of communication
between Win-Test and the MK2R+?  While the internal WinKey operates at a
fixed baud rate (1200 bps), Control Port communications are different.  They
are exchanged on a totally different virtual COM port.  The Router seems to
auto-detect and display whatever control port baud rate you select.  The
higher this baud rate, the faster the messages between Win-Test and Router,
no?