[WT-support] relfections from VP6DX

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Mar 12 18:45:03 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk at gildbankers.com>
wrote:

> hi, great to be back at home and share some views on WT after 184k QSOs -
> biggest number ever made from an expedition. That was definitely a great
> challenge for WT.

Congrats on setting the new QSO record!  It's great to hear that Win-Test
could handle it.  What was the CPU type and RAM of the PCs you were using?

3. There was a very funny occurence of $CORRECT macro starting to produce
> extra signs. Namely transmitting "3" in front of it sometimes. I have
> sometimes seen this happening also at home and I have no idea what causes it
> and maybe someone else can share a light on this issue.

I have seen that also and I *think* it may be caused by pressing [Escape]
*immediately* after pressing [Plus].  But it doesn't happen every time and
it is very hard to reproduce.  For me it seems to happen less often now than
in earlier releases.  I wonder if others have had the same experience.

6. And it would be so great to have the messages finally optionally
> recordable to the INI file or user settings somehow. We had 7 stations and
> while the rest of the configuration could be copied with INI file, the
> messages had to be entered to each computer separately. And I really dislike
> doing it always for every new contest at home.

First, just to remind everyone, generally you do *not* want to copy the
entire WT.INI file between computers, because then you will have to re-enter
your registration number on each computer.

I suppose if you are careful, and copy everything *but* the following lines

RegisterValidationKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
RegisterComputerSN=XXX-XXXX-XXXXXX

it might work OK.

Suggestion to the developers:  please move these lines to a new WT.REG file,
so that you *can* easily clone configurations between computers by copying
WT.INI.  This would be really nice at a multi-op.

Second, to program the CW messages at the start of a new  contest, instead
of creating a new log from scratch, copy an old WTB for the same contest,
e.g.

   1. COPY arrldx07.wtb arrldx08.wtb
   2. WT arrldx08.wtb
   3. CLEARLOG

All the CW messages will then be the same as what you used in this contest
the last time.