[WT-support] Even more on WinTest and DX Cluster

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Mon Mar 3 07:21:57 CET 2008

Hi -

Andrew O'Brien wrotte:
> No, that did not work.
>
> Can anyone explain WHY , on my second PC, WIntest DX Cluster Monitor
> works with what appear to be the wrong settings ?  I use 192.168.1.255
> in the Interface Configuration area and 127.255.255.255 in the Wintest
> Network Properties area.  According to the Wintest wiki, this
> configuration should not work on a single computer.

That might work on a "single seat" WT installation (both prg running on
the same computer). However, I donot recommand such a setting!

127.255.255.255 is best for a single seat installation, especially on a
laptop which can be connected to untrusted networks. In your particular
case, you can also use 192.168.1.255 because this broadcast address is
on your private LAN with fixed computers. Pay attention not to start
wtDxTelnet on more than one computers at once.

For the problem you are facing to, I would recommand to give us the
results of the commands suggested by Bob and Noel (netstat et ipconfig).

You can also try to get WT and/or wtDxTelnet to communicate between both
of your computers (use 192.168.1.255 as broadcast address everywere).
Try to "gab" between the computers. The "alt+j" in WT window would also
display the two computers.

If you still don't get success, then you should consider doing further
investigations using a packet sniffer tool like etherreal. Such tools
require some networking knowledges and you might require assistance from
a local guru. Anyway I suspect a problem with the networking stack which
is always quite difficult to debug, especially with Windows. Goog luck!

73,
--
Olivier / f5mzn