[WT-support] Question about CW weight

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Dec 12 20:15:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

> So are you saying the WinKey will allow adjustment of weight when I am
> using the function keys to send CW?

Yes, the K1EL WinKey supports everything:  weight (default 50%), keying
compensation, even lengthening of the first element (I think).  When you
press a function key, Win-Test sends an ASCII character string to this
WinKey device, over a serial port or USB line (virtual serial port).  The
WinKey translates the ASCII to on/off CW, at whatever weighting you have
pre-programmed.  The WinKey also supports paddles, and the paddles interrupt
the messages, just like most memory keyers do.  In other words, it
completely replaces your legacy keyer.  It has both a speed knob and a
computer interface.  It doesn't have a weight "knob", but it has a software
setting that does the same thing.

I may not uderstand how WinKey works. I don't see how that has anything to
> do with legacy ports.

I was just saying that many new PCs don't have serial or parallel ports
these days, only USB.  The WinKey USB works fine with such computers, and
the device driver software suppots a "virtual" COM port that software
programs can use so that they think they are talking to a real serial port
even if one doesn't exist.

> How can WinKey correct or adjust the weight from an external input?

Because it receives ASCII from the software and also regular paddle "input",
and generates the on/off keying in microcode in the WinKey hardware.

> I have an external keyer in parallel with the computer keying output.

Yes, which means you have to constantly adjust both the speed of the
computer and the speed of the external keyer, and you have to remember to
press [Escape] to interrupt the computer when you want to send something
with the paddles.  A WinKey solves both problems.

> I don't see what that has to do with legacy ports

If you have a legacy parallel port, some software (TRlog, CTWin) lets you
connect paddles to it, completely eliminating the need for any external
keyer.  Win-Test never supported that (but it would be nice).  Instead, they
recommend using a WinKey.