[WT-support] Few questions/comments

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 27 08:27:26 CET 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 9:00 PM, Denny Sahovic, KX7M <radio at kx7m.net> wrote:

> - Is the duration of PTT hold configurable? I think it is fixed to one
> dash. This may be too short when using paddle at higher speed.

Assuming you are using legacy LPT or COM keying and a PTT port, Win-Test
holds the PTT closed long enough for the entire queued message to be sent,
no matter what the speed.  There is no paddle support in Win-Test except via
external hardware like a WinKey or MicroHam box.  I don't know if PTT is
handled by those devices separately.

If you are sending "Farnsworth" CW (lots of spaces between letters) using
Keyboard mode (Alt-K) and slow typing, the PTT will open after each pause
between letters.  There is no way to change this except to adjust your
radio's CW PTT delay.  You could always wire up a foot switch in parallel to
hold down the PTT for sending Farnsworth CW.

- Would it be better to reuse the SPACE for manually filling the
> band-map, instead of hitting CTRL-ENTER?

Since space [space bar] is used like [tab] to quickly move between logging
fields, you wouldn't want it to work like Ctrl-Enter, because then every
time you moved to the zone field, Win-Test would erase the callsign. :-)

There's a setting in the band map properties dialog that lets Win-Test put
the current call into the band map automatically whenever you turn the
tuning knob more than 300 Hz (default, adjustable).  See

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#Band_Map_properties

If you select Tools | Data Entry | Exchange guessing | Automatically, you
won't have to hit space bar to check for a dupe.