[WT-support] First use and IOTA

Jim Martin mm0bqi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 09:52:58 CEST 2007

I enjoyed using Win-Test during the weekend for the first time. So much to
learn but very easy to get going and log Qs.  I like the clarity of the
logging window where nothing gets in the way of making and logging the Q and
I see this as a great tool for future contests.

Larry, I think your idea concerning the 'Check multiplier' display of IOTA
references is perfect.  In IOTA the country is irrelevant so there is no
point in cluttering up the window with useless information.  The way you
suggest would certainly benefit serious entrants who are constantly looking
for mults.

" - If an IOTA ref is entered in the appropriate field of the log, *only*
  QSOs with this IOTA are displayed and nothing else. "

I would also like to suggest another couple of points which may assist the
IOTA participant

1.  Allow an IOTA reference to be entered in the call field and show the
mult status in the 'Check multiplier' window.

2. IOTA log field.  Populate the continent (eg EU, AS) automatically from
the entered callsign and have the cursor move to the numeric entry point for
the IOTA reference.

3. IOTA log field.  Limit the data entry to (AN, AF, AS, EU, NA, SA, AN, OC)
for the first two characters and numerics only for the others.  It is very
easy in the heat of contesting to type the wrong characters.  Where possible
I believe the logging software should highlight this to the operator.

Thanks for a great program and I look forward to using it and contributing
where I can.

Best 73
Jim,  MM0BQI
( MM0Q in IOTA )