[WT-support] Swap Radio problems

SM6CNN sm6cnn at telia.com
Wed Jul 25 17:07:21 CEST 2007

Olivier F5MZN wrote:
> Hi agn,
>
> Someone reported some days/weeks before a problem swaping two radios in
> SO2R (by memory, a Yaesu and and Icom). Could you please come back?
>
> Thanks and 73,

Hello Olivier,
I reported this problem with Orion and MP in early June. Here is a copy:

Interesting that it works for Dani with the same radio set up but with
the EZ-master instead of my MicroKeyer.

If I set up my Orion as Radio 1 as follows:
VFO A: TX
VFO A: RX
VFO B: SUB RX
VFO A: 7010
VFO B: 3505

And the FT-1000MP as Radio 2 as follows:
VFO A: 14015
VFO B: 21015

In the best case the following happens with the Orion after Ctrl-S:
1. VFO A changes to SUB RX and VFO B changes to RX and TX
2. sometimes the bandwith and mode is changed
3. VFO A goes to 21015
4. VFO B goes to 14015
5. VFO A changes to RX and TX and VFO B to SUB RX

In this case I got the right frequency SWAP but after a lot of switching
in the Orion.

In the above example I connected the Orion to a COM port on the main
board of the PC not to a virtual COM port via the microKEYER.

The SWAP command to the Orion as checked with PortMon is:
*KVBAB  why? it should not be changed from KVABA
?RMF  why ask for filter bandwith?
*AF21015000 this is the wrong frequency (=VFO B of the MP)
*RMM2 why set mode?
*KVABA OK, but why was it changed to KVBAB?
?RMF  why ask again for filter bandwith?
*AF14015000 OK, at last the correct frequency
*RMM2 why set mode again?
*RMM2 why set mode again?
*KVABA unnecessary, this is what it was alreeady
@RMF250 filter bandwith is returned
@RMF250 filter bandwith is returned

I believe that all these commands are causing a timing problem and in my
opinion only one command should be sent to the Orion i.e.
*AF(VFOA of secondary radio)

Maybe the commands to the Elecraft are as many causing the erratic
behaviour reported by Steve.

73
Andy SM6CNN