[WT-support] Post-contest geographical data analysis

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Thu Apr 12 19:42:49 CEST 2007

Hi Steve

Steve London a écrit :

> For the USA stations, if you wanted to get fancy, you could do a lookup
> in qrz.com and extract the coordinates from there. There are tools like
> cURL and libcurl that should make this easy for the computer literate
> (or computer nerd, depending on your perspective).

Sure. qrz.com even provides an API (well, a sort of) for that :

http://online.qrz.com/specifications.html

But, for this particular application, the integrated "geocoding"
provided by the CTY.DAT, CTY_WT.DAT or CTY_WT_MOD.DAT file (depending on
your setting in WT) is usually acceptable.

> You're showing your age by using awk instead of perl !

Not only related to my age (hum...), but (g)awk is also very
straightforward to use and to integrate in a GUI like I did for this
usage. No library, one very small exe file etc. But, as usual, there are
thousand ways to reach the goal !

73

Larry - F6FVY