[WT-support] Check partial and Database files concepts in WT 3.3.5

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Wed Sep 20 23:06:38 CEST 2006

Hi all !

The new version of Win-Test introduces a first major step toward the new
databases and check partial files integration and management.

Please, read carefully the following text which explains the new
involved concepts.

73

Laurent  -  F6FVY

New Check partial and Database files and concepts in WT 3.3.5

A commun mistake is to confuse the CheckPartial and the Database files
in the contesting loggers.

Let me first explain the differences between these files :

- The CheckPartial files are lists of callsigns of entrants who are
statistically present in various contests. Today, the most used lists
are the SCP (Super Check Partial) files, generated by Randy K5ZD, in CT
DTA format. Unfortunately, these files are unique for all contests,
whatever mode and whatever contests. Only 3 flavors are today available
: World list, US/VE only and non-US/non-VE.

- The databases can be assimilated to "Callbooks" list, adapted to the
needed exchange while contesting. It differs from one contest to
another, and sometimes from entrant to another because of the rules
differences. For example, in an ideal (?) world, when entering the ARRL
DX contest, the a DX side entrant would use a directory of all US and VE
stations, with their associated state or province. On the other hand, an
US/VE station would use a directory of DX stations with their power.

WT before v3.3.5
================

Before this version, WT was using the same files (the famous DTB files)
for both purposes. This implied some limitations :

1/ The DTB format was proprietary (even if we gave the - very simple -
used structure).

2/ If the "CheckPartial" side of the file was modified, we also had to
update the "Callbook" associated side too.

3/ The DTB files were at least contest-dependant or exchange-dependant.
It means that, sometimes, the same file was used for 2 different
contests, even if the entrants were not similar.

WT after v3.3.5
===============

Today, we introduced a first major step in these files management : The
CheckPartial and the Callbook files are now totally independant !

It means you can use a different file for the CheckPartial and the N+1
window, from the guess exchange function. Of course, we kept the
compatibility with the old DTB files to allow a smooth transition to
this new concept.

WT new CheckPartial files
=========================

To enhance the relevance of the informations displayed in the
CheckPartial and the N+1 window, WT now accepts for all contests, a
different file for each allowed mode and each allowed band ! For
example, it is not relevant to have the same callsigns list for a CQWW
SSB and a CQWW RTTY as we all know that the entrants are not the same !
More, if you're on 160m, it is not relevant to display in these windows
callsigns of stations who *never* made a QSO in 160, because they don't
have any antenna on this band ! This is even more useful in VHF+ contests.

The names of these files depend on the contest, the band and the mode.

For example, the "CQWW_80_SSB" file will include the known entrants
during the CQWW on 80m SSB... If this file doesn't exist, WT will look
for "CQWW_80" and "CQWW_SSB" files. At last, the CQWW file will be
searched, and finally, by default, the "HF" file will be used. Note that
WT does all this job on startup and load (very quickly !) all needed
files at that time.

All files must be located in the WT installation directory.

WT now allows the use of 3 different formats for these files :

In priority, it looks for the .SCP extension files which are plain
textual list of callsigns : It is the preferred format, because it is
very easy to manage and doesn't require any specialized tool ! One
callsign per line and here we go ! Note : The callsigns must be
capitalized, but do not need to be sorted. Duplicates are allowed, even
if they slightly slow down the performances.

The second allowed file is the raw CT .DTA file, used for convenience,
even if it requires a specialized tool to edit it.  If you really want
to use this type of file, consider the use the MEdit (by VE3NEA) to
manage these files. In our dreams, we hope someday someone will generate
DTA files, specialized by contest, band and mode.

Finally, for compatibility, we also read the former WT .DTB files.

As an example, and to summarize, here is the order in which the
CheckPartial files are searched for the CQWW SSB :

1/ Band - Mode files

CQWW_160_SSB.SCP (textual file)
CQWW_160_SSB.DTA (CT file)
CQWW_160_SSB.DTB (WT file)
CQWW_80_SSB.SCP
CQWW_80_SSB.DTA
CQWW_80_SSB.DTB
CQWW_40_SSB.SCP
CQWW_40_SSB.DTA
CQWW_40_SSB.DTB
CQWW_10_SSB.SCP
CQWW_10_SSB.DTA
CQWW_10_SSB.DTB

2/ Band only

CQWW_80.SCP
CQWW_80.DTA
CQWW_80.DTB
CQWW_40.SCP
CQWW_40.DTA
CQWW_40.DTB
CQWW_10.SCP
CQWW_10.DTA
CQWW_10.DTB

3/ Mode only

CQWW_SSB.SCP
CQWW_SSB.DTA
CQWW_SSB.DTB

4/ Default CQWW file

CQWW.SCP
CQWW.DTA
CQWW.DTB

5/ Default HF file

HF.SCP
HF.DTA
HF.DTB

WT Callbooks files

For now, we are working on the stability of the CheckPartial files. It
means we haven't yet introduced the new Callbook files. WT 3.3.5 is
still using the .DTB files for this purpose. The new files will be
introduced a bit later.