[WT-support] some observations

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Thu Mar 2 01:09:46 CET 2006

Hi Carsten

DM9CM at web.de a écrit :

>  - why you included an OFFTIME-function in the REF-cabrillo-log although it is not necessary for this contest (in that particular rule-translation i read), but failed to put such a function in the CQ-160 where a single-op is only allowed to work 30 hours - is it up to the contester to do this manually?

The French single-op entrants are limited to 28 h (out of the total 36
hours), and the off-times must be included in the Cabrillo. I confess I
don't know if the same rules apply for the non-F stations ?

Abt the CQ160, I don't see such a requirement in the Cabrillo
specifications, but I may be wrong. Please point me to the "official"
specs abt this topic.

>  - when one works two contests simultaneously and therefore opens two instances of wt, only the first opend wt is able to get contact to the transceiver because of the exclusive link to the com-port and DX-cluster was not possible, because the second wt opend realised that "the other computer/s in the network is/are not configured for" this particular contest, of cause - it was no problem this time, in CQ-160 a single-op is not allowed to use cluster-help and no band-changes were necessary (naturally! ;o) - but how to manage to work two contests at a time with wt? Maybe nobody tried before and to the majority it makes no sense to work two contests at a time?

Without extra software involved, it is impossible to "share" a COM port
between several applications. And I frankly doubt the rig interface
would work even with such a extra software...

>  - saw this in PACC first while working a local contest at the same time with a different logging software: it's quite common to change fields in logging (and other) -software with the TAB-key - in wt it is the proper way to jump to tx-rapport, if you do this accidentially (after typing the call) and hit TAB again to get where you want, you are able to log a dupe without warning!

Could you be more specific with that ? I don't understand your point.

>  - the band-change-arrows are clear: up is up, down is down - but in the bandmap and other windows going up a band or the frequecy, is going down graphically - not exactly what one would call "human-engineered" // maybe in wt it is that way for such a long time that nobody wants to "re-learn" ...?!? Yes, i'm a rookie with this program!

Most users *NEVER* use the arrows (the toolbar is even hidden to save
space), and rather enter the frequency or the band to QSY, which is
*much* quicker (and safer). Thus, there is no more confusion abt the up,
the down, the meters or the MHz !

>  - with my rig

(snip)

I let Oliver answer on these topics.

>  - after jumping to a frequency by clicking a row in the DX-cluster-announcements i found no way to get back to the last frequency on the last band i worked - [Alt-F4] did not work.

Alt-F4 returns you to your *last CQ frequency* (ie the freq you were on
when you hit F1), which might be different from your last QSO freq.

>  - nice feature of wt to be able to redefine keys, but did not manage to redefine "#" with "/p" (wich is the classical application-case), without using an extra-software like "KDrive32".

This is called macros. We will maybe think abt it in the future.

Tnx for your report

73

Larry - F6FVY