[WT-support] Soundcard Interfacing

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 12:41:21 CEST 2006

Hi Dave

Dave Zeph a écrit :

> 1)     These commands don’t seem to do anything on my Dell Laptop.  I
> can record Messages from the Microphone, but Audio from the Microphone
> Audio is NOT Passed from the Soundcard MIC INPUT to the Soundcard LINE
> OUTPUT in response to ANY of these commands.  The only time the
> Microphone is “live” is during Recording of Messages.

Maybe a setting of your soundcard ? Please try the Jozef's tests
described in his post.

> 2)     If these commands work as I outlined, then I don’t understand the
> need for the circuit shown in the Win-Test QuickStart Guide.  It
> shouldn’t be necessary to use any device to switch the Transceiver Audio
> Input between the Microphone and the Soundcard Line Output – since these
> two sources of Audio should be MIXED in the Soundcard.

Because this circuit was described much before these cmds exist. And, at
that time, we didn't consider the need to mix the audio output and the
microphone. It came later, from users requests.

> 3)     The circuit in the Win-test QuickStart Guide does not appear to
> provide any mechanism for RECORDING Messages.

A direct connection from your mic to the soundcard mic input should do
the trick. If not, consider to add a transformer/attenuator/amplifier as
always... You might also consider to use a "plug and play" device like
the microHam microKeyer. I don't have any conection with microHam ! We
just use many Jozef's devices @ FY5KE with no problem since years.

73

Larry - F6FVY