[WT-support] Parallel Port Issues

Stewart G4AFF stewart at gm4aff.net
Thu Dec 28 21:38:05 CET 2023

Season's Greetings to all. I have a new PC. It doesn't have a parallel port, so I have installed an ISA card/parallel port. I have set the hex port address and my trusty old DX Doubler switches from radio 1 to radio 2 happily using the * key in WinTest, however, I can't get it to key either radio correctly.

With the radio/com options RTS and DTR set to Always off, and the parallel port set to use pin 16 and 17 -
  Radio 1 (K3)  the PTT works, but no CW is sent.
  Radio 2 (FT1000mp) PTT also works but the CW which is sent is just fast gibberish (a bit like a phone dial tone).

If I choose not to use parallel port pins 16 and 17, and instead set the DTR and RTS to use the serial ports for PTT and CW Radio 1 (K3) PTT activates but there is no CW (same as the parallel port issue). This is strange as this should work anyway. Radio 2 won't work with serial PTT/CW of course.

Is there any further setup required in order to get pins 16 and 17 to behave as they should (CW and PTT) with this new parallel port card?

Thanks in advance for the help!

73
Stewart
G4AFF